Friday, March 26, 2010

The Next Step Forward



Think Creatively

I think the whole anchor of my collage, footsteps, is pretty creative. I was able to incorporate the footsteps in many forms throughout the collage, such as in the memoir, and the outline of the feet overlapping the pictures. Also, I made a little path going through the middle of the collage, which ties in with the feet walking on a path.

Reason Critically
I thought about all of the pictures and words on my collage, and picked out only those that I thought truly showed the Lost Boys' situation. We have studied Sudan and the Lost Boys for a long time, so I knew what the key aspects of their plight were, and tried to show those in my collage. The pictures highlight the different legs of their journey, from the villages, to the refugee camp to America, and the words, such as struggle, and abandonment give a sense of what they were feeling throughout their journey.

Communicate Effectively
In my collage, I included many pictures, word and phrases that really create awareness about the Lost Boys. I had several pictures of solidiers and fire, showing that the boys have lost their homes and families. Many of the pictures are of sad, lonely looking children, which I think really speaks to the viewer, telling them that these children have been through more than they can imagine. One phrase in particular stands out, I think; "God Grew Tired of Us", which is the title of a movie based on the Lost Boys plight. This shows how the boys have been almost completely abandoned, and are basically lost because God is no longer there for them, which is about as bad as anyone can get.
Live Ethically
Overall, I think my collage does provoke empathy and action in the viewer, because together, the words and pictures really make people want to help, and there are also solutions on the collage for how you can help. Again, the movie title "God Grew Tired of Us" is very powerful, as are the many pictures featuring Sudanese people who have lost everything and now rely on us. I included the Red Cross logo and mission statement, "Our world. Your move.", because they are a well-known agency, who is working on the Sudanese crisis. Also, the relief agency, "Save the Children" is on the collage, with a logo and statement saying, "We Save the Children. Will you?" which incites people to join with these programs and help Sudan.

"Footprints"

No comments:

Post a Comment